Monday, May 9, 2011

My Angel Mother

Despite it resulting in relatives or acquaintances placing a Christmas phone call to make sure everything is ok, my mom laughed when my brother and I changed her Facebook status to things like "My boogers taste like Christmas." and "I would like to punch a reindeer in the face."

I remember when my mom spilled a pot of homemade stew all over the counter.  She reacted with some choice words, resulting in her inadvertently teaching three year old Leslie the proper use of the word "dammit".  Leslie has never forgotten how to use that word.

My mom laughs a certain way when she's conflicted about the appropriateness of what it is she's laughing at.  One Sunday, at the dinner table, Liz, Leslie, and myself brought the poor woman to tears of laughter when we explained the meaning of the word 'shart'.  If you don't know what that is, you might not want to, but you can send her a message, requesting an explanation.

I remember her carrying me into the hospital to get stitches as a five year old after I had wrecked my bicycle, slamming my head into a stop sign. 

My mom is awesome at doing activities.  Our 2009 Mother's Day game of "Mother, May I?" is perfect evidence:


It's funny how I used to always wish we could eat out more often and now that I'm older and do eat out more, I just wish I could eat my mom's cooking everyday.   She always made sure we had a hot meal that tasted good.  On our birthdays, the birthday child always got to choose what we ate and eat it off the special red plate.

Knowing that the issue could have been solved easily by my dad with a 5 cent bullet, my mom took sympathy on us kids when one of the only cats we had ever cared about was struck by a vehicle, breaking it's hind legs.  We took it to the vet and she paid the bill to have it quietly put down.  It wasn't cheap and we weren't rich, but it made us feel better and that was more important to her.

There have been times when I stand in need of something and, without me ever saying it or asking for help, my mom recognizes what's going on and does something to help me out.  These aren't just small, inconsequential things.  Sometimes they have been things that I could not have gotten by without.  Words can't really express my appreciation.

I've observed as my mom dealt with stresses and adversity that no person should ever have to go through.  I've watched her carry her burdens with unusual dignity and selflessness.  There are all sorts of heroes in this world, but I can say that my mother has fought her battles, which have not been small, with unprecedented amounts of courage.

I can't pretend to know what has always gone on inside her head, but I can say that her actions have always led me to believe that she rarely thinks much about herself. 

My mom personifies everything good that I hope to be.  I'd be an extremely lucky guy to find a woman half as great as she is.  I love you, Mom.  I know "thanks" isn't enough in proportion to all you've done and continue to do for me, but just know that you and your example will be largely responsible for anything good that I do in my life.  
 
Oh, and she's real pretty.

1 comment:

  1. Colin, you're so great. I hope I have sons that speak as highly of me as you do of your parents.

    She sounds like a fantastic woman. I love the story about the red birthday plate. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete