Saturday, April 23, 2011

Six Years Ago

Today is the six year mark of the death of my friend, Joe.

Joey was just 22 years old.  He was married and had a beautiful two year old daughter.  He and his wife, Teresa, had been sealed in the temple a couple years earlier.  He passed away in a tragic car accident on a Saturday afternoon.  

Joseph Todd Larsen stood 6' 7" tall and could light you up from three point land.  He was known to say the things few would think and no one would say out loud.  He was misunderstood by some people, but when it came down to what mattered, the kid had a heart of gold.  He was the one that, as high-schoolers with no money, would buy a bag of burgers from Arctic Circle with his money because I was hungry and then let me eat more than him.  He was the guy any farmer in Fairview knew would help when they needed an extra hand, no matter the chore.  He was honest.  If I said or did something he thought was stupid, he'd let me know.  Joe was a great father and he worked as hard as anyone I know for his family's happiness.  He was a loyal friend, he displayed more loyalty than a lot of people deserved, myself included. 

I think of Joe a lot.  Today, I was leaving my mom's house to go out to the Fairview Cemetery and visit his grave when my sister suggested I leave an Easter egg on it.  My first thought was "No.", but then I thought about it for a second.  Eggs represent new life and, in turn, the resurrection.  I picked up an egg and a marker and wrote on the egg: "Can't Wait" 



No comments:

Post a Comment