Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Calvin and Hobbes


"It seems like once people grow up, they have no idea what’s cool."


I miss childhood. I really do. I've recently been re-captivated by one of my favorite childhood memories. Calvin and Hobbes. When I read this comic strip, I'm transferred back into life as a kid. I'm amused at Bill Watterson's satirical view of adult life and the world as portrayed through the eyes of a six year old.



Calvin: It’s hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.



Calvin: Mom and Dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in…But every time I do, they tell me to stop it.


Calvin: I think life should be more like TV. I think all of life’s problems ought to be solved in 30 minutes with simple homilies, don’t you? I think weight and oral hygiene ought to be our biggest concerns. I think we should all have powerful, high-paying jobs, and everyone should drive fancy sports cars. All our desires should be instantly gratified. Women should always wear tight clothing, and men should carry powerful handguns. Life overall should be more glamorous, thrill-packed, and filled with applause, don’t you think?… Then again, if real life was like that, what would we watch on television?



Calvin: People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don’t realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

Hobbes: Isn’t your pants zipper supposed to be in the front?





Life is complicated when you're trying to be a grown-up. We all have our releases, things we do to momentarily escape the stresses of school, work, financial worries, dating, and pressure to succeed. I like to snowboard, play basketball, write, or draw, but nothing brings a relaxation to my brain and a smile to my face more consistently than Calvin and his best friend, Hobbes.




1 comment:

  1. This is why you are my favorite younger brother, such a special boy.

    ReplyDelete